Indonesia Visa Run San Francisco
Difficulty, easy to medium
Visa Length: 60 days
- Passport with at least one page available, and more than 6 months left on passport.
- 2 passport photos.
- Completed form (available there).
- $45 money order (pick up at Safeway or post-office)
- Proof of onward ticket within 60 days of arrival. (Need one, see this post)
- Proof of employment or proof of sufficient funds – copy of recent bank statement
- Get there before noon to drop-off!
- Check with Embassy website for funky Indo holidays that it might be closed, either for drop-off, pickup, or processing
Pop into the Consulate in San Francisco. It’s located at the north end of North Beach. Get there before noon for drop-off. The guy goes through your paperwork to make sure you have everything correct which is nice as it’s a little complicated. It isn’t clear on their website but they don’t take cash. You can get a money order at the Safeway 3 blocks away. I printed my passport photos at the Walgreens next to Safeway (30 minutes) for $.25 for a 4×6 with 4-photos. See this link for making an automatically generated 4×6 passport photo. The 2×2 US style passport photos are bigger than the Indo embassy wanted but the guy said he’d trim them.
I included a priority mail self-addressed stamped envelope instead of picking up. They said pickup was 5 days later but I received the passport in the mail 4 days later. I bought an $8 priority mail envelope, but they say they’ll take any self-addressed stamped envelope. Some embassies require UPS 2-nd day or priority but they don’t seem to care. There really weren’t any people there when I was there so no worries about lines, etc.
I used an award “on-hold” ticket doctored by removing the “on-hold” portion and just a regular bank statement printout and they didn’t seem too bothered. I’d mail it if I had to do it again.